Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Dear Denver Nuggets,

Let me cut to the chase and just say you are a "Hot Mess." Really. I didn't know "soap operas" actually played out in "real life" until I encountered this year's team. 

My parents were ticket holders when you were the "Denver Rockets" (precedes my time) and continued when the "Nuggets" entered the NBA. Some of my fondest memories are those spent with my dad at McNichols Sports Arena watching the likes of David Thompson, Monty Towe, Dan Issel, Alex English and Mo Martin (yes, I said it...he was #11 by the way). They played hard, were fun to watch and left it all on the court. They weren't making millions, didn't have multiple shoe contracts, weren't operating several business unrelated to basketball, but they played because they honestly loved the game. It was that simple. 

Fast Forward 2011:
I have been to several games this season (including the home game vs. New Orleans -- I would like a refund if you are listening) and I have no idea which team I am going to see play...the one that cares or the one that could care less. Will Melo be a Denver Nugget tonight? Who is he being traded to today? Is Chauncey staying or going? Will Kenyon be sulking at the end of the bench because the team signed Al Harrington in the off-season and didn't offer him an extension. Kenyon, it's been several months now and guess what...you've been hurt (again). Let it go. And then there is J.R. Smith (Swish).

I follow J.R. on Twitter and he starts each day off with the same question "What's Up World," along with a picture of him well, somewhere in the world. I never answer his question because it's rhetorical. Until now. "What's Up J.R.? I'll tell you what's up. You Stink. That's what's up!" You are an incredible talent (everyone has told you that), but what I wouldn't do to have you, just once say..."staying after practice to work on my 3-point shot," or "hitting the gym after our blowout tonight to improve on my shot," or "Disappointing loss tonight." Something. Anything that doesn't involve complaining, self-pity, or shopping at Louis Vuitton (guess what...I love Louis Vuitton too. Feel free to get me a purse the next time you walk into the store).  

Mr. Kronke - I would love to ask you at what point is the owner of the Nuggets have a responsibility to the fans who pay money to actually watch your team play. You are known as "Silent Stan," but this might be a really good time for you to come out of that shadow and talk. At the very least have someone in the front office address the drama that has now hit the point of being out of control. Sometimes "no comment" works. This is not one of them. The person you are hurting the most is you. Because the fans are getting fed up pretty quickly and if they stop attending games and supporting the team, then you will have yourself a real problem. 

The way to deal with uncertainty is to address it. Don't hide behind it. Don't pretend like it isn't there. It's the elephant in the room. And it's rather large. 

I wasn't raised to be a fair-weathered fan, but this episode of "As the Nuggets Turn," is beginning to turn me off and make me re-think just how much I love my hometown team.

I wonder where Mo Martin is today...

Yours Truly,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment